Filing Your Personal Income taxes (T1) in Canada

T1 General - personal income tax filing in Canada
  • by admin
  • December 17, 2020

Do you know you can file your tax return online for free? For free online tax filing please refer to the related important links below. If you see any broken link, please Contact RKB Accounting and a team member will be able to assist you or restore the link. We have also tried to summarize the process and to make you familiarize with it.


Who needs to file?

  • You have income tax payable
  • You have an income tax refund
  • You want to claim or receive Canada Workers Benefits
  • You have children and want to receive Canada Child Tax benefits
  • You have children and want claim credit for child care expenses
  • You have children or dependent with disability and want to claim credit
  • You are disable and want to claim disability tax credit
  • You may be eligible and want to receive GST/HST Credits
  • You want to receive Canada Climate Action Incentive
  • You want to claim and report Guaranteed Income Supplement, Split Pension
  • You want to invest in RRSP and claim deductions from your taxable income
  • You want to invest in FHSA and use this to buy your first home
  • You want to invest in TFSA and want to know your Limit
  • You are a student and want to transfer/carryforward your unused Tuition Fees Credit
  • You are self-employed and have income from business or carry forward loss in your business
  • You have rental property income to report or want to carry forward loss
  • You sold real property
  • You have capital loss that you want to carry forward and use it in the future years
  • You are a Non-Resident, but you have income from Canada
  • You are resident of Canada and have income from outside Canada
  • You want claim foreign tax credit
  • You have more than $100,000 properties outside Canada

How to file?

  • You can prepare your tax form, T1 General income tax and benefit return, and file with CRA. You can either download the forms from CRA website or request CRA to mail you the forms
  • You can mail your tax return to CRA, or you can file it electronically.
  • You can search for a T1 software with a fee or free, prepare your returns and file your self
  • You may contact RKB Accounting to prepare and file your tax return with a fee

When to file?

  • Generally, you need to file your taxes by the April 30th
  • If you or your spouse is self-employed, then by June 15th

What are the major important exemptions, deductions, and credits?

  • Self-employment expenses
  • Employment expenses
  • Split income
  • Home office expenses
  • Educator school supply credit
  • Scholarships
  • Non-Capital and Capital losses of prior years
  • Tax Credits from prior years
  • RRSP, Dues, Split Pension, Child Care expenses, ABIL, moving expenses, medical expenses, and Carrying Charges
  • Basic Personal amounts, Age amounts, Eligible dependent, Home Byers, Disability, Home accessibility expenses, Interest on loan, Tuition fees, and Donations and gifts


Important links which can help you to prepare and file your tax return:


Register with CRA My Account for Individual

Download your Ontario – 2020 Income tax package

Ways to file – Free online tax filing

CRA – Certified tax software

Get your taxes done at a Free tax clinic


RKB Accounting has expertise in cross-border taxation and has been providing accounting and taxation services for the last fifteen years in Canada and USA. RKB services include incorporating a business on both sides of the border, bookkeeping, sales tax, payroll, and corporate and personal income tax. RKB’s expertise includes cross-border tax planning, long-term tax planning, helping business start-ups, business structure planning, and resolving complex tax matters. RKB a CPA(Delaware), CA(India), and CIA(USA) has over 25 years of experience in accounting and taxation in dealing with various countries in the world.

Disclaimer: Information in the blog/post/article has been presented for a broad and simple understanding. This is not legal advice. RKB Accounting & Tax Services does not accept any liability for its application in any real situations. You need to contact your accountant or us for further information.

error: Content is protected !!